"Writers write": I absconded those words from a very old copy of Writer's Magazine, magazines which were being destroyed by the librarians at my local junior high school to make room for the new. (And now young people don't yearn for the periodicals room the way I used to!) Those words have encouraged me over the years -- not "writers write masterpieces" or "writers write daily". Simply, writers write. This blog is for that purpose, and you are welcome to come along!

Monday, September 12, 2011

commas

Every few years, the powers that be change grammar rules.  Between 9th grade and the end of college, I think MLA format changed six times, and that is just one example.  The latest example that is driving me crazy is the lack of a comma before the "and" in a series or list.

Previously, we would write: "Today I woke up, read a book, and ate cereal."  Now it is written this way: "Today I woke up, read a book and ate cereal."

Here is a blog post that answers the reason why I still prefer the first way (in addition to the fact that I resist change at all costs):

http://allday.cc/blog/why-i-still-use-the-oxford-comma/

No comments:

Post a Comment